Monday, September 16, 2013

Raglan


We just spent the last four days in Raglan, which as definitely been my favorite place we have stayed thus far. Raglan is a quaint beach town located on the west coast of New Zealand that has a very eco-friendly, tight-knit community. We spent our days hearing from passionate community members who each contribute something unique to the community. One day we visited Xtreme Waste, the town’s recycling center that was implemented by Rick, a local, because the county Raglan is in insisted on exporting all of their trash and recycling. Rick, and various other community members, decided to take a stand and insist on saving transportation costs and improving the local economy and went through many loopholes and governmental processes get the permission to implement this system. Not only does it keep the money within the community by providing local jobs, but it raises immense awareness among community members about the importance of recycling. Over 75% of Raglan’s “waste” is recycling, an inspiring rate that I think the states should strive towards. The recycling center has a consignment store, a wood center that has wood scraps, and other areas with metal scraps and other various items that one person within the community considered “waste” but may be picked up by another individual and seen as a useful treasure.


            We also visited Rick’s farm that he runs with his wife and learned about permaculture, which has a lot to do with being in touch with the earth. It was amazing to hear about them being able to tell weather patterns based on nature, for example they knew when a rain was coming soon because the buzz of the bees sounded different. I think it was astounding to learn how they could live so sustainably. Most of the food in their kitchen came from their farm. When they had kids, Rick decided to plant a forest so that when their son grew up he could build a house (from that wood). I’ve never heard of such a thing, and I think it takes very special people to do what they are doing on their farm. It definitely makes me look at the lifestyles of many Americans with a more critical eye. I think that there are so many little things that people can do that would help the environmental and ultimately save them money that are not being done in the states. For example, bringing your own coffee cup to get your morning cup of coffee requires a little extra thought in the morning, and sure you have to wash it everyday, but I know there are many places that give you a small discount if you take the time to save a disposable cup from going to the dump.

            We also had some nice down time, which was filled with walks and runs along the beach, and enjoying sunsets, more spontaneous dips in the ocean, as well as the hot tub at the hostel we were staying at. One afternoon a few friends and I rented kayaks and kayaked across the bay to these awesome rocks called “pancake rocks”, which looked exactly as they sound. It was fun exploring them and going in and out of little inlets that the rocks created along the coastline. 
            Today also marks two weeks since I arrived in New Zealand. It’s hard to believe I’ve only been here two weeks and I’ve already done and learned so much. I’ve been exposed to so many inspiring speakers and have had so many rich conversations with my directors and peers. I feel like I’m starting to develop a different outlook on environmental issues and gaining a better understanding of what I may want to do with my life. I want to somehow incorporate biology, my concentration, into environmental studies. I think that it would be awesome to do field world for an environmental company to study the current conditions to get a better idea of what we can do in the future to better certain environmental issues and again use science to measure the progress. We are headed to Lake Taupo for the next four nights, and from what I understand is a bigger town that depends a lot on eco-tourism. (We also get to spend a day and night on a farm, which I’m really excited for!)

P.S. I ALSO PURCHASED TICKETS FOR THE ALL BLACKS VS. AUSTRALIA GAME IN OCTOBER IN DUNEDIN!!



No comments:

Post a Comment